As a TUJ study abroad student, you will have the option to live in a dorm, reside with a Japanese family in a homestay, or find your own housing in Tokyo.
Housing in Tokyo is guaranteed for all program participants who submit the housing form and a $200 non-refundable housing deposit by the deadline set for your particular semester.
- Residence located in Shinjuku, Tokyo. The area has many local stores and restaurants catering to college students.
- Commute time to TUJ is about 50 minutes
- Single-occupancy rooms are equipped with a private bathroom with shower, kitchenette, bed, desk and chair, and air conditioning
- Internet connection (Ethernet and WiFi) available in each room
- Coin-operated laundry room
- TUJ Dorm Manager lives on-site
In the event that Takadanobaba Dorm cannot accommodate all students, TUJ will utilize an overflow housing facility.
- Available for selected students who are interested in complete linguistic and cultural immersion
- Provides additional opportunities for language practice, as Japanese hosts do not necessarily speak any English
- Private room in a Japanese home
- Includes two meals per day
- Usually located in one of many residential areas beyond center of Tokyo, so you will get to know local neighborhoods that the casual tourist never sees
- Commute to campus is approximately one-and-a-half to two hours each way by public transportation (a common commute for those who go to school or work in central Tokyo)
- Students requesting homestays will be interviewed by TUJ staff.
Program participants may also secure housing on their own.