Temple in Spain: Oviedo Summer Session
The Temple in Spain summer program is based at the University of Oviedo in the province of Asturias, a beautiful region of ocean, mountains and Roman ruins in northwest Spain. The program is comprised of coursework in Spanish language, literature, cultural studies, global mosaic and international business. Courses are taught at the University of Oviedo by native Spanish-speaking professors and by Temple University professors. Students enroll in a total of six credits: three credits of language and three credits of literature, culture and civilization, business or mosaics. The first five days of the program take place in Madrid, where faculty conduct an orientation program, and where students have the opportunity to explore Spain’s capital city and its environs before traveling to Oviedo to begin classes.
Four and a half weeks: late June to late July
- Program is designed for students who have completed at least one or two university-level Spanish courses (see eligibility requirements)
- Undergraduate courses available in Spanish language, literature, cultural studies, business or mosaics (fulfills the GenEd Intellectual Heritage Mosaic II [GZ] requirement)
- Course load: 2 courses, for a total of six or seven credits
- Courses are taught by Temple University faculty members and native Spanish-speaking faculty of the University of Oviedo
- Temple students who successfully complete (with a C- or better) credit-bearing coursework worth at least three semester hours in an approved summer or semester study abroad program with a minimum stay abroad of 28-days will satisfy the World Society (GG) requirement.
Language of instruction
- Spanish language, literature, cultural studies courses are taught in Spanish. The international business course is taught in English.
- In order to be eligible for the program, students taking Spanish 2002 or 3221 as their afternoon session course are required to have successfully completed at least two semesters of university-level Spanish (Spanish 1002: Basic II at Temple, or the equivalent.) Students who are taking International Business 2503 as their afternoon course are required to have successfully completed at least one semester of university-level Spanish (Spanish 1001: Basic I at Temple, or the equivalent.)
Oviedo, a charming and lively city, is located in the Asturias region of scenic northwestern Spain.
The El Milán humanities campus, where study abroad students take all of their classes, is comprised of classrooms and administrative offices, as well as a library, video library and language laboratory
You will have access to the facilities that all local students enjoy. University facilities include classrooms, computer labs and a wireless internet system, student lounges, a library, administrative offices, and recreation venues.
Open to qualified students matriculated at U.S. colleges and universities.
Applying to the program
Application Deadline: February 15
For more information, contact:
Program Director Dr. Jaime Durán, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Temple University, email@example.com
Education Abroad; 215-204-0720; firstname.lastname@example.org
Students with specific questions about the mosaic course(s) may contact professor Alicia Cunningham-Bryant, Intellectual Heritage, Temple University, email@example.com; students with specific questions about the international business course may contact professor Mary Conran, Fox School of Business, Temple University, firstname.lastname@example.org.