Students participating with an External Program are required to complete Temple's External Programs approval process. Completion of the approval process allows students to maintain full-time enrollment status, apply eligible financial aid and transfer credits earned abroad back to Temple.
- Attend a Foundations of Study Abroad information session.
- Review the general eligibility requirements for participation.
- Meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss your degree requirements and academic planning in regards to study abroad.
- Research approved external programs, keeping in mind program course offerings.
- Meet with a School/College Study Abroad Advisor in Education Abroad to discuss programs in which you're interested as well as other possibilities that may provide a good fit. (Optional)
- Select a program and begin the appropriate process:
- External Programs on the Approved List: Click on your Approved External Study Abroad Program and complete the"Request to Study Abroad" application through the Education Abroad online application/pre-departure system. Once your request is reviewed and processed you'll need to complete steps 7-11.
- Direct Enrollment (Students considering applying directly to a university abroad for a study abroad term): Contact Education Abroad to make an appointment with the External Programs Advisor to discuss specifics related to the direct enrollment option and start the Request to Study Abroad form. Once your request is reviewed and processed you'll need to complete steps 7-11 (listed below).
- Petition to Participate in an External Program Not on the Approved List: If you have a valid academic reason for choosing a program that is not on the approved list, but which still meets the criteria, you may submit a petition for review. To do so, contact Education Abroad to make an appointment with the External Programs advisor to discuss the petition process.
The following steps should be completed after your Request to Study Abroad has been submitted and approved.
7. Begin the application process for your External Program.
8. Seek Temple course approvals from the appropriate evaluator in all of the departments from which you wish to take courses abroad. Be sure to get more courses than you intend to take evaluated (further instructions will be provided in your online portal once your request has been approved).
9. Obtain final academic approval from your School/College academic advising center. This is a good opportunity to review the courses you've had evaluated and discuss how they might fit into your remaining degree requirements.
10. Return your completed External Course Approval form to Education Abroad. Be sure to retain a copy of this form for your records.
11. Complete all supplementary tasks and forms located in your online Temple study abroad account.
Students are required to complete the appropriate process for requesting approval to study abroad with an external program, as outlined above, the Temple deadline. In addition, you will need to apply for acceptance to your External Program by their application deadline. Visit your program's website for application procedures and deadlines.