Students participating with an External Program are required to complete Temple's External Programs approval process. Completion of the approval process allows students to maintain full-time enrollment status, apply eligible financial aid and transfer credits earned abroad back to Temple.
- Attend a Foundations of Study Abroad information session.
- Review the general eligibility requirements for participation.
- Meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss your degree requirements and academic planning in regards to study abroad.
- Research approved external programs, keeping in mind program course offerings. If in effect, we encourage students to explore our COVID-19 Portfolio Program options before pursuing other programs on the external approved list. As of spring 2023, Education Abroad is not utilizing the COVID-19 Portfolio (though this is subject to change) and all approved programs are meet the University's programmatic standards.
- If you're unable to decide on one specific program, meet with a School/College Study Abroad Advisor in Education Abroad to discuss programs in which you're interested as well as other possibilities that may provide a good fit. (Optional)
- Select a program and begin the appropriate process:
- External Programs on the Approved List: Click on your Approved External Study Abroad Program and complete the "Request to Study Abroad" application through the Education Abroad online application/pre-departure system. Once your request is reviewed and processed you'll need to complete steps 7-11.
- Direct Enrollment (Students considering applying directly to a university abroad for a study abroad term): Until further notice, Education Abroad will not be accepting direct enroll applications for foreign universities with the exception of summer programming at our Exchange Partner Universities.
- Petition to Participate in an External Program Not on the Approved List: In previous years, students have been able to submit a petition requesting approval for a non-approved external program, however, due to COVID-19, Education Abroad is unable to accept petitions for non-approved programs through the spring 2023 semester, after which time we anticipate exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. .
- After your Request to Study Abroad has been submitted and approved, begin the application process for your External Program.
- Seek Temple course approvals by completing the Education Abroad Workflow in TUportal. Be sure to get more courses than you intend to take evaluated (further instructions will be provided in your online portal once your request has been approved).
- Once you have completed the course approval workflow process, you should review the courses you've had evaluated with your academic advisor and discuss how they might fit into your remaining degree requirements.
- Complete all supplementary tasks and forms located in your online Temple study abroad account.
Students are required to complete the appropriate process for requesting approval to study abroad with an external program, as outlined above, the Temple deadline. In addition, you will need to apply for acceptance to your External Program by their application deadline. Visit your program's website for application procedures and deadlines.