Temple undergraduate students participating with an External Program are required to complete Temple's External Programs approval process. Completion of the approval process allows students to maintain full-time enrollment status, apply eligible financial aid and transfer credits earned abroad back to Temple.
Graduate students: consult with your department about your options.
- Attend a Foundations of Study Abroad information session.
- Review the general eligibility requirements for participation.
- Meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss your degree requirements and academic planning in regards to study abroad.
- Research approved external programs, keeping in mind program course offerings.
- If you're unable to decide on one specific program, meet with a School/College Study Abroad Advisor in Education Abroad to discuss programs in which you're interested as well as other possibilities that may provide a good fit. (Optional)
- Select a program and begin the appropriate process:
- External Programs on the Approved List: Click on your Approved External Study Abroad Program and complete the "Request to Study Abroad" application through the Education Abroad online application/pre-departure system. Once your request is reviewed and processed you'll need to complete steps 7-11.
- Direct Enrollment (Students considering applying directly to a university abroad for a study abroad term): Meet with Education Abroad staff to discuss your options.
- Petition to Participate in an External Program Not on the Approved List: Meet with Education Abroad staff to discuss your options.
- After your Request to Study Abroad has been submitted and approved, begin the application process for your External Program.
- Seek Temple course approvals by completing the Education Abroad Workflow in TUportal. Be sure to get more courses than you intend to take evaluated (further instructions will be provided in your online portal once your request has been approved).
- Once you have completed the course approval workflow process, you should review the courses you've had evaluated with your academic advisor and discuss how they might fit into your remaining degree requirements.
- Complete all supplementary tasks and forms located in your online Temple study abroad account.
Students are required to complete the appropriate process for requesting approval to study abroad with an external program, as outlined above, the Temple deadline. In addition, you will need to apply for acceptance to your External Program by their application deadline. Visit your program's website for application procedures and deadlines.