Each summer, full-time faculty from various departments lead Temple undergraduates abroad to learn about different disciplines in a cultural context. View our current summer program offerings and continue reading below if you are interested in leading a summer faculty-led program for undergraduate students.
All faculty-led, credit-bearing programs involving Temple University undergraduate students abroad must carry the endorsement of the sponsoring school or college Dean and Department Chair, and be pre-approved by Education Abroad. Please note that in accordance with university policy, all study abroad programs must be operated in-country for a minimum of 28 days in order for students to:
• Receive a waiver for the World Society Gen Ed requirement
• Be eligible for university study abroad scholarships, including merit stipends
Interested full-time faculty are invited to review the Faculty-Led Study Abroad Program Agreement, as well as the Summer Program Guidelines for Faculty and Directors; please contact Education Abroad with questions.
Courses – courses that fulfill undergraduate major or degree requirements, including General Education courses, are most likely to attract students. Since the General Education World Society requirement is automatically waived for undergraduates who study abroad, courses in other areas (Human Behavior, Race and Diversity, Arts, etc.) are preferred.
Full-time faculty members with an interest in proposing a new summer 2019 study abroad program for undergraduate students are invited to begin the process by completing a Preliminary Interest Form by February 1, 2018. Faculty submitting a preliminary interest form by the deadline, can expect feedback from Education Abroad within one week in order to provide them with enough time to review suggestions and complete the online application required for those proposing new or continuing summer 2019 programs. If you would like to run a continuing program again in 2019, please confirm your intent to offer the program with Lezlie McCabe by February 1, 2018.
The online application system will begin accepting applications for new or continuing summer 2019 program proposals in early February 2018. The deadline to submit a new or continuing summer 2019 program proposal online is Monday, March 12, 2018.
- In order to offer successful and consistent faculty-led programs, Education Abroad is unable to accept proposals from part-time faculty.
- Full-time faculty interested in leading a summer faculty-led program for graduate students or those interested in the limited opportunities that exist to teach undergraduates on one of Temple's Overseas Campuses in Rome or Tokyo, should NOT go through the faculty-led proposal process. Instead, you should inquire within your Dean's office about the process and requirements for both opportunities.
Full-time faculty interested in submitting a new program proposal to lead undergraduate students abroad are encouraged to attend an information sessions designed to assist faculty through this process (register below):
- Tuesday, December 12, 2017 (1:00 - 1:50 PM)
- Friday, January 12 (1:00 - 1:50 PM)
All sessions will be held in the Education Abroad office in 200 Tuttleman Learning Center.
If you are unable to attend an information session, you are invited to contact Lezlie McCabe, Associate Director for Summer Programs at 215-204-0720 for guidance.