Temple University Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Global Temple Conference

FAQs for Non-Temple Students

Are you a Temple student? We've answered your questions here: Temple Student FAQs.

Which Temple Programs am I eligible for?
Rome, Japan, Spain, and Summer programs worldwide. 

As a Non-Temple University student you can participate in any of Temple University’s study abroad programs for the academic year, semester, or summer as long as you meet the eligibility requirements set forth by your desired Temple program. Eligibility requirements can be found for each program here: 

What are the language requirements?
Language requirements vary according to program, as well as to the length of the program. Listed below are the language requirements for Temple Rome, Temple Japan, and Oviedo.
ROME: During the fall, spring, and academic year, students who have not studied in a beginning Italian class at the college level are required to take at least Italian 1001 during their time abroad. Students are not required to take Italian before or during their time at Temple Rome during the summer session, but it is strongly encouraged to at least take Italian 1001 during your time abroad.
JAPAN: Temple Japan offers language courses at all levels, from beginner to advanced. If you have not previously taken a Japanese language course, plan to enroll in an introductory course during your time abroad. You can find more information on language requirements on Temple Japan’s academic webpage.  
SPAIN: Temple University’s program in Spain is a language intensive program with two different program tracks with language requirements that must be met before your time abroad. You can view the language requirements for the Oviedo program on Temple in Spain’s academic webpage
SUMMER PROGRAMS: Temple University offers a wide variety of summer programs, all with varying language requirements. You can find the language requirements for your desired program here

What are the GPA requirements for Temple Programs?
Summer Programs: All summer programs require students to have a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale and must be in good academic standing at the time of application.
Semester Programs: All semester and academic year programs require students to have a minimum GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale and must be in good academic standing at the time of application. Students on academic probation or warning are not eligible to participate on Temple University programs. GPA’s that fall below 2.75 will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

I was recently found in violation of my school’s code of conduct, am I still eligible to study abroad with a Temple Program?
Yes, but you must be in good disciplinary standing at the start of your term abroad. If you are found responsible for a code of conduct violation and will not be in good disciplinary standing (including disciplinary probation), you may submit a petition for review. If you have been found responsible for a code of conduct violation on more than one occasion you will be subject to additional review and may not be eligible for Temple University study abroad programs.

As a non-Temple student how much will studying abroad cost and can I use my financial aid?
If you are a non-Temple student, there are several steps you should take in regards to finances if you are applying to a Temple program. Please visit the finance section of our website to learn more about financing your time abroad. 

How do I register for the class I will take while I’m abroad?
Course registration for your time abroad works a little differently for studying abroad than it would at your home institution. Shortly after being accepted into your study abroad program you will receive information pertaining to the courses that will be offered during your time abroad. You will then have to submit a course request with your first choice classes, as well as alternatives to those courses. Once all course requests are received, the program coordinator will register you for these courses. It is important to keep in mind that students are registered for courses in the order they are received, therefore the earlier you submit your request, the greater the chance you will have of being placed in your first choice courses.

Will my credits transfer and how do I obtain my official transcript from Temple? 
It is vital to discuss your academic plans, course selection, and applicability of financial aid and transfer of credits with your home institution prior to your departure. Credits earned on Temple University Study Abroad programs are recorded on standard Temple University transcripts and may be readily transferred to other institutions.

The Education Abroad office arranges to have an official transcript sent to non-Temple students' home institutions free of charge. You must sign the transcript release authorization on the Home College Approval Form of the application. Additional transcripts are available from the Temple University Registrar.

Non-Temple students also receive a Temple University login username during the application process; this provides access to their academic history and grades on TUportal, the University’s central student information system.

Will I need a visa? How do I apply for a visa?
U.S. citizens going to Rome, Oviedo, Temple Japan: If you are a U.S. citizen you will not need a visa for Temple University’s summer sessions in Rome, Oviedo or Tokyo, as you are permitted to stay in these countries for up to 90 days with your U.S passport. However, if you are attending Temple Japan, Temple Rome, or Temple in Spain for the semester or academic year, you will be required to obtain a student visa for your time abroad. Don’t worry, you will not be alone in this process! Our office takes a lot of time and care to provide in depth instructions for the visa process. Once you are accepted to the program you will be given detailed instructions on what materials and information are needed to move forward with the visa process. 

Non-U.S. citizens may be required to obtain a visa for the summer or semester programs. If you are a non-U.S. citizen, you will need to check with the consulate whether you will be required to obtain a visa. If so, you will receive further instruction on the visa process after your acceptance into the program.

How do I apply for an internship? 
Internships are available at both Temple Rome and Temple University Japan. Shortly after you are accepted into your study abroad program you will receive information on the internships available during your time abroad. You will then submit an internship application (listing up to three internship choices); internship approval form; and a resume and cover letter(s). Once we receive all of the required materials, if eligible, you will be placed in an internship. You can find more information on our internship programs and eligibility requirements here:

Who should I contact with questions regarding studying abroad? 
If you have general questions about the different Temple University study abroad programs, you can contact our office at study.abroad@temple.edu or by phone at (215) 204-0720. Our front desk staff is more than willing to answer any questions you may have about the application process or your desired study abroad program. 

I’ve been accepted, what are my next steps before I leave?  
Once you are accepted into the program, you will be provided with information regarding dates and deadlines, course registration, arrival instructions, visa information, housing information, and a program manual that includes any other information that you may need for your time abroad. Our office also hosts a pre-departure orientation on Temple University’s main campus. If your home institution is close by, you are more than welcome to come to the in-person orientation, but don’t worry! We also host an online orientation for those unable to make our in-person orientation. Additionally, when there is a large number of students from a non-Temple institution participating on a Temple program, an Education Abroad staff will travel to your home institution to host a pre-departure orientation.