Mission and Vision
Education Abroad and Overseas Campuses serves as the central unit responsible for promoting and facilitating education abroad at Temple University. The Education Abroad team is committed to providing transformative global learning experiences that prepare the diverse students from Temple and from our U.S. partner institutions to develop as engaged global citizens, collective problem-solvers, and leaders in their chosen field. Our goal is that education abroad at Temple will reflect and enhance the rich diversity of Temple's student body and the partners we serve, and that every student will have the opportunity to participate in high-quality, global, experiential learning.
What we do
- Develop and administer innovative credit-bearing study abroad opportunities that integrate our diverse students’ academic needs with their career aspirations, regardless of major, background, identity, ability, or socioeconomic status.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff across Temple’s campuses in the U.S. and abroad, as well as with our exchange and study abroad partner institutions, to offer the highest caliber academic and extracurricular experience that deepens students’ intercultural learning and career readiness.
- Create pathways and reduce barriers so that all qualified students can successfully pursue and complete quality study abroad programs that meet their academic and personal needs.
- Enroll and prepare students from Temple and partner universities across the U.S. to study abroad at Temple’s overseas campuses and our study abroad programs worldwide.
- Communicate with students, families, partners, and faculty to ensure comprehensive support through all phases of study abroad, from pre-departure to on-site, to re-entry.
- Facilitate and encourage immersive experiences that expand students’ learning into critical areas of intercultural humility, cultural exploration, social justice, and service within their host communities.
- Participate actively in the Office of International Affairs Anti-Racism Taskforce, Shifting Culture
- Foster mindful traveling by teaching students how to minimize their carbon footprint and their impact on local communities and climates.
- Promote global learning and development at Temple through educational events, conferences, and specialized activities.
- Engage in the field of international education and establish standards of excellence for education abroad programs across Temple University.
Our guiding values
Student-Centered—We focus on our students. From program development through pre-departure and re-entry, student growth, health and wellness, and long-term success drive our goals.
Excellence—We strive to exceed expectations by ensuring exemplary quality throughout our work. We create pathways, streamline processes, reduce barriers, and maximize our resources. We practice respect, understanding, empathy, and open, clear communication in all that we do.
Innovation—We create innovative solutions based on new ideas, evidence, research, and real student impact. We seek out continuous professional development to ensure we remain at the forefront of our evolving field, poised to respond to the shifting needs of our students.
Collaboration—We value collaboration with our colleagues, recognizing that by working together and celebrating the accomplishments of our team members, our work and our students benefit.
Access and Diversity—We believe that access to excellent education contributes to a more equitable world, and we model the behavior we seek to inspire in our students: equity, inclusion, belonging, and social justice. We respect and value diverse voices and experiences and seek to help each other become more aware of our own unconscious biases.
Sustainability—As we seek to leave the world better than we found it, the goals of sustainability and those of international education are deeply intertwined. We are committed to incorporating sustainable practices into every aspect of our work, from student and staff travel, to program development and student learning, to marketing and office operations.
Education Abroad and Overseas Campuses actively participates in organizations dedicated to international education, including: