Congratulations on your decision to study abroad! Now that you have been accepted, follow these steps to fully prepare for your experience.
- Confirm with your academic advisor that the courses you intend to take abroad fit appropriately into your degree program.
- Thoroughly read any pre-departure materials—these will give you important information and detailed instructions on proper documentation, housing and travel arrangements, and, for the programs that host one, the pre-departure orientation.
- Make sure you’ve completed the necessary forms; check with Education Abroad or your program sponsor if you’re not sure.
- Review travel books to prepare yourself for the locale and for meeting the people.
- Talk to the peer advisors and study abroad ambassadors in our office or other study abroad alumni for advice on packing, preparing, and getting the most out of your study abroad experience.
- Spend some time on our student blogs to read up on what current students abroad are doing.
Check out the additional pages in this section for further details on how to prepare for your time abroad.
Adapting to a new culture is essential to your personal and academic growth, but it can be challenging. In this section, you'll learn to understand the phases of culture shock and how to cope with them.
Health and safety
The health and safety of our students is a top priority. In this section, we provide information about managing your health overseas, from obtaining health insurance to safety precautions to what to do in an emergency.
We strive to provide resources that help diverse groups of students get the most out of their experience. In this section, you will find resources on diversity matters abroad, including race and ethnicity, sexuality and gender expression, and students with disabilities.
Passports and visas
If you have not done so already, be sure to get or renew your passport right away. It can take months to receive, and you will need it to apply for your student visa.
In this section, you find useful travel, insurance, and country-specific resources online that will help to prepare you for your experience abroad.