Pre-departure information provided by your External Program
Once accepted, your External Program staff will serve as your main resource for preparing for your specific destination. Their guidance will typically include the following. Consult your program to confirm details of their program services.
- Instructions regarding any required travel documents, such as visas
- Travel and arrival information
- Course registration information
- Housing information
- Health and safety information specific to your destination
- Cultural preparation information specific to your destination
- Billing information and payment policies
- Local contact information
Pre-departure support from Education Abroad
In addition to the guidance from your External Program, Education Abroad provides the following services for all students who have been approved to study on an External Program.
Pre-departure manual that includes information about:
- cultural adjustment
- health and safety
- student diversity
- External Program participation policies
Administrative support for:
- receiving academic approval to study abroad
- requesting an acceptable transcript from your program
- credit transfer
Scholarship application advising and guidance for transfer of financial aid to an External Program
- Registration for a placeholder course so that your status as a Temple student is maintained while you are abroad
During the semester prior to your departure, our staff hosts an online orientation designed to assist you in preparing for an international experience.
A valid passport is required for all programs. Your passport must typically be valid for a minimum of six months up to a year beyond the end of your stay, depending on the requirements of the country. Many countries also require students to obtain a visa.
A few important things to note:
- If you do not have a valid passport, you should apply for or renew your passport as soon as possible. Routine passport processing times vary and can take up to a few months. Please refer to the U.S. Department of State’s passport website for more detailed information regarding passports and expedited service.
- Consult your External Program staff to determine if you need a visa to participate in your program. If you do, you will likely be required to submit your passport as well as supporting documents soon after the program application deadline, so it is important to have a valid passport in advance. Because you will submit your passport with your visa application, you will not be able to travel internationally during the visa process, which can take up to two months or longer.
All Temple University students participating in study abroad programs are required to have adequate health insurance with international coverage that includes: accident and sickness medical expenses; emergency medical evacuation; and repatriation of remains. External Program participants will be enrolled in Temple's international travel medical insurance. Further details about insurance requirements and procedures are provided to External Program students upon a Request to Study Abroad being approved
In the event of a medical emergency overseas, all students on a Temple University study abroad program also have access to 24-hour global assistance and international travel medical insurance.
Confirm with your External Program what emergency services if any, they provide, what is covered and excluded, and how to utilize your benefits.