TOMODACHI Internship Program Scholarship
Sponsored by the U.S. Embassy Tokyo
In 2015, a new internship program scholarship was made possible by the TOMODACHI Initiative. This scholarship was created in response to President Obama’s and Prime Minister Abe’s April 2014 commitment to facilitate Japanese internship opportunities for American students. The initiative will contribute to the bilateral goal of doubling two-way student exchanges by the year 2020.
Based on the success of the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 programs, the TOMODACHI Internship Program has been renewed for 2017-2018. Temple University is able to award scholarships of up to $5,000 to qualified students to participate in the TUJ internship program, with additional tuition support for out-of-state students (about $5000 for fall/spring; for summer, the amount varies depending on number of credits). Temple and Non-Temple students are encouraged to apply.
The TOMODACHI Initiative is a public-private partnership between the U.S.-Japan Council and the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo, born out of support for Japan’s recovery from the Great East Japan Earthquake, that invests in the next generation of Japanese and American leaders through educational and cultural exchanges as well as leadership programs. We seek to foster a “TOMODACHI generation” of young American and Japanese leaders who are committed to and engaged in strengthening U.S.-Japan relations, appreciate each other’s countries and cultures, and possess the global skills and mindsets needed to contribute to and thrive in a more cooperative, prosperous, and secure world.
In order to qualify for a scholarship you must:
- be accepted to study abroad at Temple Japan
- be a U.S. citizen
- be enrolled as a full-time, matriculated undergraduate student
- have a minimum 2.75 cumulative grade point average;
- have completed at least 30 undergraduate credits by the time of participation in the program
- be in good academic and disciplinary standing (students on academic and/or disciplinary probation or warning are not eligible)
- be placed in and commit to completing a 3-credit internship during your term of study at TUJ
Preference will be given to:
- Applicants with financial need.
- Applicants with little to no prior experience in Japan before attending TUJ.
Detailed scholarship information, deadlines, and the application will be provided to accepted study abroad program participants.