Temple in Spain: Spring Semester
Temple's spring semester in Spain program is based at the University of Oviedo in the province of Asturias, one of the most culturally significant regions in Spain. The program is designed for students who have completed at least four semesters of college-level Spanish and are committed to further developing their Spanish language skills.
IMPORTANT COVID-19 INFORMATION
Temple in Spain Spring 2021 Program Cancellation Notice (October 15, 2020)
- Spring Semester: early January through late May
- Students first fly to Madrid for the six-day orientation program which includes exploration of Madrid and surrounding areas, before traveling to Oviedo as a group
- Program is designed for intermediate and advanced students of Spanish
- Undergraduate courses, conducted in Spanish, in Spanish language, literature, translation, history, art and cultural studies
- Students take 5 courses within either the intermediate or advanced track, for a total of 15 credits
- Courses are taught by native Spanish-speaking faculty of the University of Oviedo and by Temple University faculty member, Dr. Jaime Durán
Academic and cultural enrichment
In addition to academic courses, the university’s Casa de las Lenguas offers cultural programming and organized leisure activities, providing students with additional opportunities to acquire in-depth knowledge of various aspects of Spanish and Asturian culture. The programs and activities also serve to strengthen students’ Spanish language proficiency outside of a formal classroom setting.
- Excursions to sites studied in class
- Language partner conversation exchange
- Film series
- Short story and photography student competitions
- Week-long non-credit enrichment workshop, for which students choose their theme. Past themes include dance, short story, photography, cartoons and cooking.
Language of instruction
- Program participants must have completed a minimum of four semesters of university-level Spanish (including Spanish 1001: Basic I, Spanish 1002: Basic II, Spanish 1003: Intermediate I, and Spanish 2001: Conversational Review at Temple; or the equivalent.)
School Location and Facilities
Oviedo, a charming and lively city, is located in the Asturias region of scenic northwestern Spain.
The El Milán humanities campus, where study abroad students take all of their classes, is comprised of classrooms and administrative offices, as well as a library, video library and language laboratory You will have access to the facilities that all local students enjoy. University facilities include classrooms, computer labs and wireless internet system, student lounges, a library, administrative offices, and recreation.
Immerse yourself in Oviedo--the cultural, commercial and administrative hub of Asturias, located just 20 miles from the beautiful Bay of Biscay. You will take classes at the Universidad de Oviedo, one of the top universities in Spain. As a university city with so much history, Oviedo has many things to offer.
Oviedo is wonderful setting to futher develop and refine your language skills. With relatively few English-speaking visitors, you will be able to truly immerse yourself in the Spanish language. It is a city large enough to host a full calendar of events (incuding festivals, museum exhibits, concerts, and sporting events), yet small enough to see familiar faces as you walk through town. This city has awe-inspiring natural vistas and endless opportunities for getting out into nature, with the Cantabrian Sea to the north and Picos de Europa to the south. Walking through the streets, you'll see an array of architectural styles, from Pre-Romanesque to Gothic to Baroque, attesting to the city's integration of a variety of cultures.
Open to qualified students matriculated at U.S. colleges and universities.
Applying to the program
Application Deadline: October 1.