Temple University Logo

Oviedo, Spain

Passports and Visas

Global Temple Conference

COVID-19 Notice

Updated July 27, 2021

Passport processing times are significantly longer than normal.

You can apply for routine service and expect to receive a passport in 18 weeks after the passport agency receives your materials. You have the option of paying an additional $60 for expedited service to receive your passport in up to 12 weeks, and an extra $17.56 for 1-2 day delivery for the return of your completed passport.

Students planning to study abroad in the Spring 2022 semester will need a valid passport in order to apply for their student visa in early October (see your program homepage for specific deadlines). If you meet the following conditions, you should begin the expedited application process immediately: 

  • You do not currently have a valid passport

  • Passport is currently expired or will expire between now and three months beyond the conclusion of your program.

As this information is subject to change, please visit the U.S. Department of State's Passport website for details and updates. Contact your program manager if you are concerned about obtaining a passport in time for your program requirements.

Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter Spain?

June 24, 2021
U.S. citizens who are entering Spain for the purposes of study have been permitted to enter Spain for quite some time now, as explained on the U.S. Embassy in Spain's website; however, effective June 24, 2021, U.S. citizens can travel from the United States to Spain with limited restrictions, for the purpose of tourism, as explained: 

Effective June 24, 2021, U.S. citizens can travel from the United States to Spain if they present upon arrival in Spain a QR code generated through the Spain Travel Health portal, obtained through the website or by downloading the “SpTH app” in Google Play Store or iTunes App Store for each traveler, regardless of their age. There is no requirement to bring proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test if you are traveling from the United States to Spain.  However, this may change with short notice, so be sure to review this information as close as possible to your travel date. This applies to U.S. citizens travelling to Spain from the United States, including if they transit through a third country.

All program participants are required to enter Spain with a student visa; we provide detailed visa application guidance and support to accepted students. Please see below for preliminary passport and visa information.

As there is always a possibility immigration rules can change, we continue to monitor entry guidance and will update students as necessary.


You will need a valid passport to study in Oviedo. Spain requires your passport to be valid for three (3) months beyond your scheduled departure from Spain, but recommends validity for six (6) months. 

Learn how to apply for your passport.


A student visa is required for study in Spain for stays longer than 90 days, for which this program is. Specific instructions for the visa application are made available within the program application online, and Education Abroad will assist you throughout the process. Gathering the required materials for the visa application may take several weeks and the deadline to apply for the visa will occur in October and soon after the program application deadline to allow time for Education Abroad to submit all visa applications to the Spanish Consulate in New York (which they require and is mandatory). You will also need to submit your passport with your visa application and may not receive it back for several months. For this reason, in order to apply for this program, students must submit proof of a valid passport at the time of application to be considered. We strongly encourage you to start your program application early to gain access to the visa application instructions and leave sufficient time to gather the required materials by the following firm deadlines.

Requirements and processing times vary by student citizenship and consulates can change their requirements and processing timelines at any time, though generally they base their processing times on the official program dates rather than individual travel plans so keep that in mind when considering how long you may be without your passport due to visa processing. Since will also need to submit your passport with your visa application and may not receive it back for several months, we strongly discourage students from traveling outside of the U.S. between the program application deadline and the official program start date. If you must be abroad between the program application deadline and the official program start date, please contact Education Abroad immediately to discuss the feasibility of your plans.

Please note that some consulates require students to submit visa applications in person though at the time of this update, the Spanish Consulate in New York will only require program staff to appear in person and not each individual student. If that procedure changes, Education Abroad will notify applicants immediately.