Temple University Logo

Rome, Italy

Passports and Visas

Global Temple Conference

COVID-19 Notice

Updated July 27, 2021

Passport processing times are significantly longer than normal.

You can apply for routine service and expect to receive a passport in 18 weeks after the passport agency receives your materials. You have the option of paying an additional $60 for expedited service to receive your passport in up to 12 weeks, and an extra $17.56 for 1-2 day delivery for the return of your completed passport.

Students planning to study abroad in the Spring 2022 semester will need a valid passport in order to apply for their student visa in early October (see your program homepage for specific deadlines). If you meet the following conditions, you should begin the expedited application process immediately: 

  • You do not currently have a valid passport

  • Passport is currently expired or will expire between now and three months beyond the conclusion of your program.

As this information is subject to change, please visit the U.S. Department of State's Passport website for details and updates. Contact your program manager if you are concerned about obtaining a passport in time for your program requirements.

Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter Italy?

July 27, 2021
U.S. citizens may travel to Italy for any reason, including tourism, as explained on the U.S. Embassy in Italy's website: 

Current travel restrictions on entry into Italy are linked to several factors, including one’s country of departure and purpose of travel. The Government of Italy periodically updates these restrictions based upon changing conditions, and all travelers should refer to current Italian health decrees when making travel plans.

All semester program participants are required to enter Italy with a student visa; we provide detailed visa application guidance and support to accepted students. Please see below for preliminary passport and visa information.

As there is always a possibility immigration rules can change, we continue to monitor entry guidance and will update students as necessary.


You will need a valid passport to study in Rome. Italy requires your passport to be valid for three (3) months beyond your scheduled departure from the Schengen area.

Learn how to apply for your passport.


A student visa is required for study in Italy for a semester or academic year. Specific instructions for the visa application are made available within the program application online by the program application deadline, and Education Abroad will assist you throughout the process. Gathering the required materials for the visa application may take several weeks. One requirement includes providing financial documentation that you have access to approximately $1,000 USD per month for the duration of your stay in Italy. You may need to visit your and/or your parent/guardian’s bank to obtain this financial documentation. You will also be required to submit enrollment verification from your home institution, which may require you to visit your registrar’s office. We strongly encourage you to start your program application early to gain access to the visa application instructions and leave sufficient time to gather the required materials by the following firm deadlines:

  • Fall Semester/Academic Year: Third Thursday in May
  • Spring Semester: Second Thursday in October

Requirements and processing times vary by student citizenship and consulate, and consulates base their processing times on the official program dates rather than individual travel plans. You will also need to submit your passport with your visa application and may not receive it back until shortly before the program start date. Therefore, we strongly discourage students from traveling outside of the U.S. between the program application deadline and the official program start date. If you must be abroad between the program application deadline and the official program start date, please contact Education Abroad immediately to discuss the feasibility of your plans.

Please note that some consulates require students to submit visa applications in person.