We have reached capacity for the summer 2019 Siena program and are no longer accepting applications. Students who complete an application before the February 15 deadline will be placed on a waitlist in the order their applications are completed.
This program is open to qualified students matriculated at any U.S. college or university.
Eligibility is limited to those students who:
- are at least 18 years old at the time of application.
- have completed 2 semesters of full-time college-level study.
- will be enrolled as a full-time matriculated undergraduate student at the time of application as well as during all terms prior to studying abroad.
- possess a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale from all colleges/universities attended.
- are majoring in a discipline related to the research focus of the lab(s) in Italy; biology, chemistry and biochemistry majors are preferred, but other majors with appropriate academic backgrounds may be considered.
- are prepared to work independently, and have initiative and professionalism.
- agree to participate in a required Biohazards training course at Temple or home institution before departure.
- have taken the appropriate pre-requisites for Biology 3364 (Theory and Applications of Cancer Biology).
- are in good academic standing from the time of application until the start of their term abroad; students on academic warning are not eligible to participate.
- are in good disciplinary standing at the start of their term abroad. Students who have been found responsible for a code of conduct violation and will not be in good disciplinary standing (including disciplinary probation) may submit a petition for review.
- Students who have been found responsible for a code of conduct violation are subject to additional review and may not be eligible.
Note: Italian language background is not required.
Because of the nature of the program, a limited number of opportunities are available for qualified Temple and non-Temple students to participate in a special for-credit research program in Siena, Italy. Students will be selected mainly on the basis of their intellectual purpose and emotional maturity.
Applications for the Siena program will be reviewed on a rolling basis; however, students are encouraged to apply early as space is limited to six participants. Once the program fills, qualified applicants may be placed on a waitlist in the order in which they have applied. Students are notified of an admission or waitlist decision within two weeks of submitting a completed application.
- Online application, including: a statement about where you see the future of the biomedical field going in the next twenty years. (Recommended length 250 words)
- One academic recommendation from a faculty member who has taught you in class or supervised you in lab research. You can send the recommendation request electronically to your recommender from the online application or ask your recommender to submit a paper recommendation directly to Education Abroad.
- Candidates may be interviewed either personally, by telephone or virtually (such as by Skype).
Additional submission for Temple students
- A reference from your Academic Advisor confirming that your course selection for this program is appropriate for your academic plan. The reference form is available within the online application and can be sent electronically to your advisor for submission.
Additional submissions for non-Temple students
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended since high school. Transcripts from your current institution must be official; transcripts from any previous institutions may be unofficial (unofficial transcripts may be issued from your institution or web-based from your student account, but copy and pasted versions are not acceptable). If you are applying earlier than the semester immediately preceding the program, your acceptance to the program may be provisional, pending receipt and review of an updated transcript.
- Home College/University Approval Form indicating you have received approval from your home institution to study abroad on the Temple University program to which you are applying.
- Signature Verification Form which, once received and processed, will enables you to submit electronic signatures within Education Abroad's online system.