One of the most important factors in planning to study abroad is considering how you will fund your experience. Use the following information to begin your research and planning, and remember to start early so you’ll be able to take full advantage of available resources. With proper planning and a commitment to exploring funding resources, studying abroad is affordable for any student.
How much does it cost to study abroad?
The type of program you attend (Temple or External), the location of the program, and a few other factors will determine the cost of your program. If you choose a Temple Semester, Summer, or Exchange Program, you will pay Temple tuition. If you choose to study on an External Program, you will pay the External Program for tuition and fees. The cost of External Programs varies widely, and may cost more or about the same as attending a Temple program.
To get a true sense of what a semester or summer abroad will cost, consider all of the following items in your budget:
- Round-trip Airfare
- Books and Supplies
- Health Insurance
- Immigration Expenses (if necessary)
- Immunizations (if required)
- Local Transportation
- Personal Expenses
- Program Activities – what’s included and what’s extra?
Review costs, financing and scholarship options for Temple programs:
Steps to Funding Study Abroad
When researching programs that are both academically appropriate and affordable, be sure to take the following into account:
- Review cost considerations that will help keep study abroad affordable while searching for a program, such as the cost of living in your destination.
- Understand how financial aid works for different program types and terms.
- Research study abroad scholarships.
- View tips for budgeting while abroad and talk to Education Abroad's student advisors for additional advice.
- Read the billing policies and procedures for your program.
- Familiarize yourself with the refund policies so you are aware of what costs you will be responsible for, should you need to withdraw after committing to a program.