Temple Summer in Mexico (Honors)
Join a small group of Temple Honors students for a deep dive into the history and legacies of colonialism in the Yucatán Peninsula. From Mayan dominance to Spanish conquest, nineteenth-century struggles for independence to twenty-first century New Age and “eco” tourism, we will spend four weeks using the history of the Yucatán to understand broader trends in the development of the western hemisphere. Along the way we’ll visit ancient ruins, learn about durable Yucatán folkways, and learn with local experts in the fields of Mayan history, indigenous cultures, and the colonial legacies of Mexico.
Mid-May through mid-June (tentative)
Language of Instruction
- The course will be conducted in English.
- Program includes weekly, non-credit conversational Spanish language instruction. Local instructors will teach Spanish in small groups appropriate to your level.
- Previous Spanish language experience not required.
- Course load: one 3-credit course: History 2900: Honors Special Topics I: From Colonialism to Tourism: Five Centuries of Conflict, Conquest, and Resistance in the Yucatan, Mexico
- Honors History 2900 fulfills an upper-level honors class requirement for Temple honors students
- Non-credit Spanish language instruction included in the program
- Temple students who successfully complete (with a C- or better) credit-bearing coursework worth at least three semester hours in an approved summer or semester study abroad program with a minimum stay abroad of 28-days will satisfy the World Society (GG) requirement.
This class will use Merida and the surrounding areas as its main classroom and case study for understanding the long-history of colonialism and globalization. Field trips will include visits to places such as, the Mayan Museum of Merida, the Uxmal ruins, and the UNESCO site, Chichen Itza, and you will spend afternoons on the Pasejo Montejo, a wide tree-lined avenue in Merida inspired by the Champs-Élysées and dotted with palatial Beaux Arts homes. All the trips and excursion are included in the price of the program.