Temple Japan: Semester/Academic Year
IMPORTANT UPDATE, Fall 2020 Semester
- Fall: late August to mid-December
- Spring: early January to late April
- Academic Year: late August to late April (off for semester break)
- Undergraduate courses in: American studies, anthropology, architecture, art, art history, Asian studies, communication studies, media studies and production, economics, film and media arts, history, international business studies, Japanese (all levels), journalism, political science, psychology, and sociology
- Specialized architecture program offered during the spring semester
- Courses are taught by faculty from Japan, the U.S., and other countries around the world
- Fall/Spring Semester course load: 4-5 courses, 12-18 credits total
- Credit-bearing and non-credit internships are available
Student life and cultural enrichment
- Activities and excursions
- Volunteer opportunities
- Student clubs
- Culture Exchange Program
Language of instruction
Except for courses in Japanese language, all instruction is in English. Program participants with no previous Japanese language instruction are expected to enroll in beginning Japanese during their first semester in Tokyo.
The Temple Japan campus is located near the Showa Women's University campus in the Setagaya area of Tokyo.
- Classrooms equipped with smart technology
- Computer lab and wireless Internet system
- Professional visual arts studios
- Student lounges
- Administrative offices
- Program-arranged dorms and apartments
- Program-arranged homestays for selected students
- Independent housing
Open to qualified students matriculated at U.S. colleges and universities.
Applying to the program
Application Deadline: April 1 for the fall semester/academic year; October 1* for the spring semester
*Temple student applications for the Architecture program are due on May 1 for the following spring semester.
Important Update for Japan Spring 2021 applicants: Please note that in order to comply with governmental health regulations regarding social distancing, Temple Japan will have to limit the number of study abroad students it can host on its campus for the Spring 2021 term. In addition, we anticipate interest in the spring program may be higher than in previous years as some students are deferring applications in light of the pandemic. Applications for Spring 2021 continue to be reviewed on a rolling admissions basis. We expect that the program will fill well before the October 1st deadline. Please reference the Program Status and Waitlist Information page for regular updates regarding the program capacity. We will continue to monitor the situation and make adjustments to our capacity if and when we can. However, a waitlist is likely, and prospective students are urged to submit their applications for spring 2021 well in advance of the deadline, and to consider summer 2021 or fall 2021 as an alternative. We will review waitlists periodically to ensure we can provide the opportunity to as many students as possible.
See below (or link to program status page from other pages) for program status and waitlist information. We will continue to monitor the situation and make adjustments to our capacity if and when we can.